By Charles M. Whipple, Ph.D., Ed.D.
The Two Whipple Coats of Arms
Beginning in the 1530s and continuing into the late 1600s, heralds for the then newly created College of Arms visited throughout Great Britain and Ireland. The majority of these locations were visited on more than one occasion, as witnessed by the dual entries for the Whipple arms. Again, as witnessed in the Whipple family's visitations of 1552 and 1576, at least one serious, if not egregious, error is noted in the literature of the time.